Thursday, June 12, 2014

Another Rainy Day

This rain is driving me and the boys nuts!  We have not been able to have any outside time for three days now.  The most we have been able to do is run outside and take the dogs out before the next thunderstorm comes.

Today we worked on day 4 in the workbooks.  It was pretty much all math, so it was a relaxing break for the boys (they both love math).  Then we moved on to the journals.  The topic for today was "How can you help prepare for a hurricane".  A wrote about 2 pages, K was having a grumpy day so I was only able to get the bare minimum out of him.

I picked Social Studies for today.  It is my favorite subject, and I really look forward to these lessons.  The topic was the Calusa Indians of Southwest Florida.  They are a bit of a mystery because they disappeared in the late 1700's, so the only accounts that we have are from the very first Spanish explorers.  When I had visited Tallahassee a few years ago the Florida History Museum had several masks from this particular group and I was absolutely fascinated by them.  I found a reading and worksheet page at the Florida History Curriculum website.  It has tons of worksheets for 4th grade students regarding Florida History, and they are all easy to download, pdf files.  They are all still based off of the old Sunshine State Standard, but I figured that they would work well for my purposes.

I couldn't leave K out of the learning process.  After A had finished the reading section and the corresponding worksheet, it was then his turn to play teacher and explain to his brother what he had just read.  After they had finished, it was time for them to make their own masks.  I found some really neat ideas on the website for the Historical Society of Palm Beach County.    The handout is really long (like over 100 pages), so I just skimmed through it until I got near the end where the art projects were.  They had two ways to do the masks, the first being paper mache, but I was not in the mood for the mess, so we went with the coloring sheets.  They turned out really cool though!  Now I am trying to convince the husband that we need to go on a field trip this weekend to South Florida. ;)
A in his Calusa Mask

No comments:

Post a Comment